Bikeability is based on the government approved National Standards for Cycle Training, which teaches trainees the necessary skills to ride confidently on today's roads.
Whether you’re a dedicated cycle commuter or cycling to work for the first time; brushing up on cycling best practice is always a great idea. And thanks to British Cycling, this is easier than ever to do.
Cycle Training is a life-long skill that can be instilled at a young age or developed for the first time in adulthood, encouraging a healthy lifestyle, boosting confidence and developing independence.
Bikeability is the public face of National Standard Cycle Training and is used by schemes and instructors who have registered to deliver Bikeability by meeting certain minimum standards. Scheme registration is part of the quality-assurance process to help ensure organisations are delivering best-practice cycle training.
There are three award levels for Bikeability, with a level to suit all abilities, from beginner to experienced commuter or rider:
- Level 1 teaches basic bike-handling skills in a controlled traffic-free environment.
- Level 2 teaches trainees to cycle planned routes on minor roads, offering a real cycling experience.
- Level 3 ensures trainees are able to manage a variety of traffic conditions and is delivered on busier roads with advanced features and layouts.
Bikeability is for anyone who can ride a bike. The skills and confidence you will gain by attending a Bikeability course will stay with you for life and will help you to ride in ways that make you more visible to traffic and enable you to negotiate complex junctions and roundabouts.
Bikeability can only be delivered by instructors who have completed an instructor training course run by an approved ITO and who are working for a registered scheme.
Look out for the next video in the British Cycling ‘Commute Smart’ series, coming soon to the Cyclescheme blog.
Want more advice like this? British Cycling members are sent the latest news, tips and videos every week - become a member today and get 25% off Ride Membership (usually £37) and you’ll receive:
- Up to £10m third party liability insurance
Peace of mind insurance to keep you covered every time you ride your bike
- Free legal support and advice
Access to our expert team who can help you in the event of an incident
- Discounts on cycling gear
Enjoy 10% off at Chain Reaction Cycles
To claim this offer, email Cyclescheme and ask for the British Cycling exclusive promotional code.
Terms and conditions:
- Offer only available to new joining members
- Discount only applicable on first year of membership